If you’re lucky enough to be heading away these holidays, have a great time! Just be sure to take some time out before you leave to ensure your home is secure and safe from intruders this season. A little peace of mind is a great way to start that holiday.
With that in mind, here are a few helpful tips to prevent your house becoming a target for thieves.
Secure Your House
• Ensure all doors and windows are fitted with good quality locks, and that they are secure before leaving. Double check each lock.
• Check external doors and door frames for weaknesses that may have occurred with weather and age. Replace where necessary.
• Place all valuables out of sight.
• Fit and/or check external sensor lights around entrances.
• Fit and/or check security alarm systems.
• Ensure all garden tools, ladders, and other tools that may be used to break into your house are secured away inside. Be sure to lock the shed and side gates.
• Place security signage in visible locations.
• Trim all trees and shrubs that may provide cover for an intruder.
• Remove keys from window locks and sliding doors (They really shouldn’t be left there at any time).
• Do not leave keys in hiding spots around the home.
• Turn down the volume of your telephone, and do not leave a message stating you are away.
Give the appearance that someone is home
The neighbours can be a great help with giving the appearance that someone is home, so be sure to have a chat with them before you leave. Not only can they help keep up appearances, but they can also be your eyes and ears when you’re not there. Don’t forget to leave them with emergency contact numbers.
• Trim your lawn and tidy the yard prior to leaving.
• Use an automatic timer for lights and selected appliances.
• Have your bin put out and put away on rubbish days.
• Have a neighbour park a car in your driveway.
• Have your mail, parcels and newspapers collected daily. If nobody is available to collect your mail, Australia Post will hold your mail whilst you are away for a fee. Also be sure to stop all newspaper deliveries and place a “No Junk Mail” sign on the letterbox to ensure no advertising clutter builds up.
A few extra tips..
• Be sure your house and contents insurance is current and provides coverage for the correct amount.
• If heading away just after Christmas, do not leave packaging for electronic and other expensive items in the bin, as this can alert would-be thieves as to what’s on offer inside your home.
• Give the neighbours a gift such as flowers or chocolates on your return to say thanks for looking after your house.
One last thing, have a great holiday!